BRC Gives Back – Holiday Charitable Activities
By Myra J. Parker, CPA and Alexa Kallesten
An important value here at Bernard Robinson & Company, L.L.P. is staying connected to our local communities. Year-round, our offices serve our neighbors in many ways including food drives, blood drives and a day of volunteerism for our state association’s annual CPA Day of Service. One of the ways that the firm gives back that many of us find really special is our holiday projects. Our seven offices are located across North Carolina, so it is awesome to see the areas and causes for which we are blessed to be able to give back. We would like to take this opportunity to share with you the organizations that our 2019 holiday projects supported!
- Gibsonville United Method Church: Our Greensboro office made a monetary contribution to the Emergency Assistance Fund at Gibsonville UMC, where an employee’s husband is a pastor. These funds will be used to assist those who need help with utility payments, housing/rent payments, groceries, clothing and other items and who have exhausted all other forms of assistance.
- Brookdale Assisted Living: Our Greensboro office put together 52 goodie/hygiene bags, one for each resident of the Brookdale Assisted Living Facility, located just a few miles from the office. Gift cards and hot chocolate were also given to the staff to thank them for all they do each day for the residents.
- Ronald McDonald House: Our Greensboro office also participated in the Santa’s Workshop program at the Ronald McDonald House of Winston-Salem, which is a free shopping experience available to any guest family during the weeks leading up to the holidays. BRC donated toys, clothing and hygiene items to support the Workshop.
- Carolina Waterfowl Rescue: Our Charlotte/Matthews office purchased items from the Rescue’s Amazon wish list to include a rabbit hutch, assorted food and bedding supplies. The organization rescues birds and other animals in need.
- MiraVia: Our Charlotte/Cotswold office made a monetary donation to MiraVia, Inc., a maternity home for single, college-aged women and their babies. The donation will be used for the living expenses, meals, child care and life-skills classes for those who stay at MiraVia.
- New Stories Group: Our Winston-Salem office made a monetary contribution to the new Health & Wellness Center of Winston-Salem’s New Stories Group. The Wellness clinic provides free quality preventative medical services from licensed providers that donate their time to help those in need.
- A Place at the Table: Our Raleigh office supported this organization, which is a “pay as you’re able” café in downtown Raleigh. BRC provided 100 meals to the homeless and contributed to the purchase of a new oven.
- Samaritan Kitchen: Our North Wilkesboro office made a monetary contribution to Samaritan Kitchen of Wilkes, a food pantry available to all Wilkes Country residents. Their “Project Backpack” program provides nourishment for food insecure students to take home on the weekends and during holiday breaks.
- Dunn United Ministerial Association Food Pantry: Our Dunn office shopped for supplies for the pantry’s Christmas meal distribution. This organization distributes food to hundreds of families in the Dunn area on distribution days twice a month.
- Hood Memorial Church: The Dunn office also prepared holiday goodie/hygiene bags for local residents that the church (which is less than 2 blocks from the office) serves during its weekly meal delivery program.
As employees, we appreciate working with a firm whose leadership places importance on adding to the well-being of our local communities, and allows everyone to be a part of that goal. We invite you to check out the above links for each of the organizations to learn more about how they are making a difference!